Last week, I published explained how "The Paperless Law Office" is possible and the ways that it can benefit your firm. Does it make a difference if your firm uses a web-based (SaaS) case management program? The short answer is no, as explained in a recent article by Larry Port.
The process of quickly scanning, storing, and accessing your documents is explained step-by-step (with illustrations) in Mr. Port’s article. If you use Rocket Matter (like my firm does), then simply follow these steps:
- Choose Scan to Folder using the ScanSnap Quick Menu.
- Name the file appropriately and store in an easy location.
- Open Rocket Matter and navigate to the file you wish to work with.
- Click “Add Document”, click on the “Add File” link, and select your recently scanned item.
- If desired, you can enter notes about your file or describe it with a title and tags, and you can also add billable time if appropriate.
- To access the document, simply click on the link to download it when needed.
Source: "How Can I Use My ScanSnap with a Legal Software as a Service Tool Like Rocket Matter?" by Larry Port of Rocket Matter, published at ScanSnap‘s "Ask the Expert" forum.