Benson Varghese of the Res Ipsa Blog has published a “Top 10” list of programs that make switching to Macs a breeze. I have listed his recommended programs below along with a short summary of each. However, you should read his post to get more information about each of these programs.
- Quicksilver :: Uses simple commands to rapidly launch any program, file, folder, or website.
- Anxiety :: Brings the iCal task list to your desktop without opening your full calendar.
- Caffeine :: Turns OS X’s built-in automatic screen dimming on and off with a single click.
- Growl :: Provides unobtrusive notification messages from various
OS X programs.
- Adium :: Allows you to send/receive instant messages using various
- Smultron :: Allows you to edit multiple documents
in an easy-to-use tabbed interface. (See also TextWrangler and Bean)
- Skim :: Offers enhanced markup capabilities with PDF documents and presentations.
- VLC :: Plays most modern digital video formats.
- iStat Menu :: Shows a calendar and other helpful information by clicking on the time in the taskbar.
- Rachota :: Allows users to track the time spent on various projects.
Source: “Ten Free Mac OS X Programs that Make the PC to Mac Switch a Breeze” by Benson Varghese, published at his Res Ipsa Blog.